This Year in Hype: 2013 Rap Power Rankings Mega-Podcast With Justin HuntePosted by Nathan S. on 12/20/13 | Filed under Downloads, This Week in Hype, Podcasts
Holy sweet baby jesus. In 2012 I was convinced that no one would be
drunk awesome enough to want to sit around and listen to me talk about rap, but turns out I was wrong. This year marked the launch of the "This Week in Hype" podcast, and it's been more popular than I could have ever imagined. Seriously, how drunk are you people? awesome is RefinedHype Nation?
I went over the "RefinedHype Awards" on last week's podcast, so this week I thought we'd close out a huge 2013 by coming up with the official year-end Rap Power Rankings with HipHopDX editor-in-chief and Rap Fantasy Draft veteran Justin Hunte. And yes,when I say this is a mega podcast, I mean it. Got a two-hour drive to your in-laws for Christmas? Throw this on and enjoy the entire ride in headphoned bliss.
Discussed This Week:
* Seriously though, Tino came through in 2013 and blessed this podcast with a dope theme song. Go listen to that man.
* If you need a refresher on the Rap Power Rankings formula, click here.
* Justin and I do some hardcore hip-hop meandering. In the course of coming up with these rankings we talk about Lil Wayne menstrual raps, the underrated impact of Drake's producer Noah "40" Shebib, default albums, piss off all of Canada, Big Sean as the rap game Chris Farley and much more.
* Ultimately, I go witha Top 5 Rap Power Ranking of: 1) Drake 2) Kanye West 3) Eminem 4) Jay Z 5) J. Cole
Justin disagrees and goes with a Top 5 of: 1) Eminem 2) Drake 3) Kanye West 4) Jay Z 5) J. Cole
* Once again, huge thanks to Justin for being equally rap-obsessed. You should follow him here, and of course check out HipHopDX.
* This year's closing song, Drake's "Worst Behavior" because, you know, I'm a Drake stan now.
Why don't you give the gift of podcasty goodness this year and subscribe to "This Week in Hype" on iTunes. Thank you.
THE BEST OF REFINED HYPE
RefinedHype on Twitter
Tweets by @refinedhype