- Drake’s “Nothing Was the Same” Was the Album of 2013, Here’s Why…
- We Fixed It: What Rolling Stone Got Wrong on The Best Songs of 2013 List
- Kanye Hated “Juicy”, So What Are Biggie’s 5 Best Beats?
- Because Booty: The Best of Vine Booty Videos
- Childish Gambino’s “Because The Internet” Album Leaked, Let’s Listen…
Production Breakdown: Syl Johnson’s ‘Bout to Get Rich Off YeHovaPosted by Nathan S. on 02/21/12 | Filed under Features, QuickHits, Production Breakdown, Rap Nerdery
I know it's been a minute since we posted a Production Breakdown, but I know there are some fellow Rap Nerds out there who like to pass the time tracking down samples, so....
How much is a "Uh!!!" worth? We're about to find out.
'70s soul singer Syl Johnson is suing Kanye and Jay for sampling his song "Different Strokes" on their "Watch the Throne" release "The Joy". I know what you're thinking: didn't YeHova sample Curtis Mayfield's "The Making of You" for "The Joy"? Indeed, that's where the vocal sample comes from, but....
...go to the :24 mark of "The Joy" (above). Hear that "uh!!"? That would (allegedly) be Mr. Johnson on "Different Strokes":
Will Johnson end up winning the lawsuit? Who knows, but history tells us YeHova will just write him a check to get the whole thing over with quickly. Not too shabby for yelling into a microphone 30 years ago.
See Also: Is Syl Johnson Rich Off of Rap Samples? He Says So (via LA Times)
THE BEST OF REFINED HYPE
RefinedHype on Twitter
Tweets by @refinedhype