- What’s the Best Song Intro of All-Time?
- Mac Miller’s “Watching Movies With the Sound Off” Will Outsell Kanye & Cole on June 18
- The Black Hippy “U.O.E.N.O. (Remix)” is the Only “U.O.E.N.O. (Remix)” I Care About
- J. Cole’s Puts “Born Sinner” vs. Kanye West’s “Yeezus”: Stupid, or Stupid Like a Fox?
- Fails: Nicki Minaj Takes The Lap Dance To New Levels Of Awkwardness (Video)
Production Breakdown: Syl Johnson’s ‘Bout to Get Rich Off YeHovaPosted by Nathan S. on 02/21/12 | Filed under Features, QuickHits, Production Breakdown, Rap Nerdery
I know it's been a minute since we posted a Production Breakdown, but I know there are some fellow Rap Nerds out there who like to pass the time tracking down samples, so....
How much is a "Uh!!!" worth? We're about to find out.
'70s soul singer Syl Johnson is suing Kanye and Jay for sampling his song "Different Strokes" on their "Watch the Throne" release "The Joy". I know what you're thinking: didn't YeHova sample Curtis Mayfield's "The Making of You" for "The Joy"? Indeed, that's where the vocal sample comes from, but....
...go to the :24 mark of "The Joy" (above). Hear that "uh!!"? That would (allegedly) be Mr. Johnson on "Different Strokes":
Will Johnson end up winning the lawsuit? Who knows, but history tells us YeHova will just write him a check to get the whole thing over with quickly. Not too shabby for yelling into a microphone 30 years ago.
See Also: Is Syl Johnson Rich Off of Rap Samples? He Says So (via LA Times)