- Mac Miller’s “Watching Movies With the Sound Off” Will Outsell Kanye & Cole on June 18
- J. Cole’s Puts “Born Sinner” vs. Kanye West’s “Yeezus”: Stupid, or Stupid Like a Fox?
- Fails: Nicki Minaj Takes The Lap Dance To New Levels Of Awkwardness (Video)
- Internet Memes Gone Wrong: The Drake & Miguel Drop Kick Edition (Pics)
- Sweet Baby “Yeezus” Kanye Killed These SNL “Black Skinhead” & “New Slave” Performances
In the Midst of Controversy, Frank Ocean is Living the “Sweet Life” (Listen & Download)Posted by Nathan S. on 07/09/12 | Filed under Downloads, Frank Ocean
If his new "Sweet Life" single is any indication, Ocean's upcoming "Channel Orange" album may just be proof that truly great music is bigger than considerations about race/gender/sexuality. I just don't know how anyone can listen to this and not feel it. I can't ever remember hearing a Pharrell production this neo-soul-ish, and Ocean's vocals are powerfully understated.
I have to say though, when I first heard the hook - "You've had a landscaper and a housekeeeper since you were born" - I caught myself assuming Ocean was singing about a woman, some L.A. chick laying by the pool of her rich daddy's pool. Maybe Ocean did have a woman in mind when he wrote "Sweet Life", or maybe he was thinking of a "guy", or maybe it doesn't matter. But at least for now listening to Ocean requires me to challenge the ways I usually think about R&B, and that's making Ocean's dope music just a little bit doper.
"Channel Orange" drops this coming Tuesday, July 17. Until then....
See Also: Frank Ocean Reveals He’s Gay, World Shrugs
(Looking for all of RefinedHype's dope downloads in one place? We got you covered.)