- Kanye West’s “Yeezus” Leaked, Let’s Start Talking About It
- This Week in General Awesomeness: Cam’ron Joins Vine, Breezy Gets Dunked On & More
- This Week In Hype Podcast: “Born Sinner”, Scottie Pippen & 10 Minutes With Bauce Sauce
- Kanye vs. Cole vs Mac Miller, The Official RefinedHype Album Sales Predictions
- Holy Balls This Random White Kid Can Freestyle (Video)
Frank Ocean Reveals He’s Gay, World ShrugsPosted by Nathan S. on 07/07/12 | Filed under Opinion, QuickHits, Frank Ocean
Weekend Edition: The week's most popular posts, running from Saturday to Monday morning.
With one Tumblr post this week, Frank Ocean immediately became the most famous openly gay artist in rap or R&B. From a historical standpoint that's a big fucking deal; there's a reason the news has sparked headlines everywhere from TSS to the New York Times. But more importantly, the reaction from the general music listening public seems to be a collective shrug.
I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't heard from a single person who's said they'll no longer listen to Ocean's music now that he's openly gay. Will his sexuality hold him back from becoming a mega superstar? Maybe, but Ocean's music was too experimental for him to become a mega superstar anyway, gay or straight. (How many seven minute songs has Trey Songz released?)
I'm not devoting more words to Ocean's announcement because, frankly, it doesn't need any more. He's gay, no one seems to care all that much, and that's the best sign yet that urban music is ready to move past its long history of homophobia. Now, about this upcoming "Chanel Orange" album....
See Also: Frank Ocean Releases His Half Amazing, Half “What The Hell Is This” Track “Pyramids” (Listen)