- J. Cole’s Puts “Born Sinner” vs. Kanye West’s “Yeezus”: Stupid, or Stupid Like a Fox?
- Fails: Nicki Minaj Takes The Lap Dance To New Levels Of Awkwardness (Video)
- Internet Memes Gone Wrong: The Drake & Miguel Drop Kick Edition (Pics)
- Sweet Baby “Yeezus” Kanye Killed These SNL “Black Skinhead” & “New Slave” Performances
- Chief Keef Makes Less Money Than Your Average Orthodontist
Drake’s “Started From the Bottom” Fails the Friday Night Test (Listen)Posted by Nathan S. on 02/04/13 | Filed under Drake
The more I thought about it though, the more I realized that the "Friday Night Test is a great way to separate rappers. Simply put, new music drops Friday night, when you're already heavy into your plans for the night. Do you listen (or in my case post) asap? Or do you let it slide and listen tomorrow? Kanye? Yeah, he pasts the Friday Night Test. Andre 3000? No fucking question. Jay-Z? Hmmm.....probably, but borderline. Lil Waye? Four years ago yes, today, no. Drake? Nope, but he's right on the verge.
So a new Drizzy album cut is a pretty big fucking deal, but it's not THAT big of a deal. Especially when it's essentially just Aubrey doing some laid back rhyming for three minutes. I'm sure I'm not the first person to point out that most of the world would love to start from the "bottom" that Drake did, but whatever, this is rap; nobody raps about coming up from the middle class. (Well...except for Mac Miller.)
Ultimately, I'm glad I waited to listen to "Started From the Bottom", I would have been pissed if Aubrey interrupted my Scotch and "Breaking Bad" for this. But on Sunday? Sure, why not, whatever. At the very least it's also a warning that a new Drake album is one the way. You might want to begin making preparations.