- Lost Ones: What Happened to Mike Jones (Who?) Mike Jones?
- Rick Ross Casually Admits CO Past He Denied for Years Was True
- Also Boobs: Here Are Some Pics of Rihanna Topless (NSFW)
- Find Her: Who’s the Girl in ScHoolboy Q’s “Man of the Year” Video?
- Porn Stars in Music Videos: An Absurdly Detailed Investigation
Top 25 Hip-Hop Songs of the 2000s: The Complete ListPosted by Nathan S. on 12/22/09 | Filed under Top Stories, Features, Best of the 2000s
If we learned anything from those days spent arguing whether "Hot in Herre" or "Trapped in the Closet" were more historically important, it's that there can be no one definitive list. So while we proudly stand next to our choices, we invite you euphorically agree with some selections, vehemently disagree with others, and of course come up with your own list. But before we get to the finale, a quick recap of our criteria:
Qualification: Over the past decade the line between hip-hop and other genres of music became increasingly blurred, and we wanted our list to reflect that. So rap, rap/r&b, rap/pop, r&b/pop, strip club anthems, if a track was blasted through our speakers in the 2000s it was eligible.
Measurements: It would have been too easy to simply copy the Billboard charts for our list, or to dismiss a song just because it was popular. So we factored in chart performance, artistic merit and the song's influence on the music industry as whole.
And now, with no further ado, we present... The Top 25 Songs of the 2000s
25) UGK. ft. Outkast - "Int'l Players Anthem"
24) Mariah Carey - "We Belong Together"
23) Lil Jon & The Eastside Boyz ft. the Ying Yang Twins - "Get Low"
22) R. Kelly - "Trapped in the Closet"
21) Three 6 Mafia - "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp"
20) Nelly - "Hot in Herre"
19) Rihanna - "Umbrella"
18) Ludacris - "What's Your Fantasy"
17) Alicia Keys - "Fallin"
16) Dr. Dre - "The Next Episode"
15) Nas - "One Mic"
14) Missy Elliott - "Get Ur Freak On"
13) Common - "The Light"
12) Aaliyah - "Rock the Boat"
11) Chamillionaire - "Ridin"
10) Beyonce - "Crazy in Love"
9) Jay-Z - "Big Pimpin"
8) T.I. - "What You Know"
7) Outkast - "Ms. Jackson"
6) Lil Wayne - "A Milli"
5) Flo Rida - "Low"
4) Usher - "Yeah"
3) Kanye West - "Through the Wire"
2) Eminem - "Lose Yourself"
1) 50 Cent - "In da Club"
It's hard to imagine a crazier decade for hip-hop than the 2000s, but you never know what the future holds. So until 2019 rolls around and we start compiling our next best of the decade list, you'll just have to stay tuned for all the most recent developments in the music that helps shape our lives every year.
Love our choices/hate our choices? Comment below, write about it on your blog or email me at nathan[@]refinedhype.com. Come on, don't be shy.
THE BEST OF REFINED HYPE
RefinedHype on Twitter
Tweets by @refinedhype